IFS Logistics is a standard for companies, offering logistics services like transport and storage.
IFS Logistics is a Standard for auditing companies whose activities are logistics oriented for food and non-food products, such as transport, storage, loading/unloading, etc. It applies to all types of transport: delivery by road, rail, ship or plane; frozen/refrigerated products or ambient stable products (different states of matter: liquid, solid or gas). This standard also applies to (un-)freezing service providers as well as for logistics companies using service providers for their transport and/ or storage activities.
IFS Logistics audits are carried out by qualified auditors of independent accredited and approved certification bodies. The requirements of the IFS Logistics are divided into six chapters:
· Senior management responsibility
· Quality and product safety management system
· Resource management
· Realization of the service
· Measurements, analysis, improvements
· Product defense and external inspections
The objectives of the IFS Logistics are:
· To ensure comparability and transparency throughout the entire supply chain
· To establish a common standard with uniform evaluation systems
· To reduce costs and time for both suppliers and retailers
· To work with accredited Certification Bodies
IFS certification can offer a number of key benefits to companies striving for excellence in quality and customer satisfaction, and seeking a competitive advantage in their marketplace:
· Improved confidence in suppliers and products
· Reduced time spent on supplier screening
· Due diligence defense
· Ability to reduce individual audit costs by combining a variety of different audits at the same time.
· Improved understanding between management and staff related to standards and procedures
· Monitoring of compliance with food / non-food regulations
· More effective use of resources
· Reduction in the need for customer inspections
· Independent third party audits
· Improved business reputation as a supplier of high-quality and safe products
· Ability to trade with customers insisting on third party audits
· Use of the IFS logo and certificate to demonstrate compliance with the highest standards.